BY-LAWS OF THE CONSTITUTION PARTY OF NEW MEXICO
The name of this organization shall be the “Constitution Party of New Mexico”, hereinafter referred to as the Party.
The purpose of the Party is to develop an informed, energetic, and effective statewide political organization in order to support the principles, goals, and platforms of this party as adopted by its Convention and of the National Convention of the Constitution Party and to secure the election of all duly nominated candidates and electors thereof.
All applicable provisions of the New Mexico Statutes annotated (NMSA) shall be part of the bylaws.
Membership of the Party shall consist of all persons who are qualified electors under the laws of the State of New Mexico and who are in accord with the statement of principles of the Party as declared by its State Convention.
STATE CENTRAL COMMITTEE
SECTION A: Membership
The membership of the State Central Committee shall be composed of the State Chairman, the State Treasurer, the State Secretary, the State Vice Chairman (if that position is filled); and the Chairman and Secretary of each of the County Central Committees (if organized). All Members of the State Central Committee shall be registered voters affiliated with the Constitution Party of New Mexico as shown on their affidavit of voter registration.
SECTION B: Election and Terms
- The State Chairman, State Treasurer and the State Secretary shall each be elected by the State convention for a term of four years or until a successor is elected.
- The state Vice Chairman (if any) shall be appointed by the State Chairman and Shall serve at their pleasure.
- The Chairman and Secretary of each organized County Central Committee shall be elected by the State Convention for a term of four years or until their successor is elected.
SECTION C: Vacancies
- A vacancy in the office of State Chairman shall be filled by appointment by the State Central Committee until the next regular State Convention, which shall then elect a State Chairman to fill the remaining unexpired term of the vacating State Chairman.
- A vacancy in the office of State Secretary, State Treasurer, and State Vice Chairman (if any) shall be filled by appointment of the State Chairman.
- A vacancy in the office of chairman or Secretary for organized County Central Committees shall be filled by appointment by the State Chairman and serve the unexpired term of the vacating County Chairman or County Secretary.
SECTION D: Duties
- State Central Committee
- The State Central Committee shall formulate and provide for the execution of such policies plans and measures as it may deem conducive to the best interest of the Party, and in conformity with the state Party Bylaws.
- It shall call all regular and special State Conventions and make arrangements therefore, including the basis of representation, the time and place.
- State Chairman
- The State Chairman shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the Party and Chairman of the State Central Committee.
- The State Chairman shall issue the call and preside at meetings of the Party. Notice of such meetings shall be published at least fourteen days prior to the meeting by the officers of the party organization in a newspaper of general circulation or other electronic means, via the internet utilizing E-mail, Facebook, Twitter blogs, and the party website. The notice shall specify the time, date and place for holding the meeting.
- The State Chairman shall observe and enforce the by-laws and rules of the Party.
- The State Chairman shall ensure that a copy of these rules and regulation is filed with the Secretary of State within thirty days after organization and no later than the first Tuesday in April before any election in which the Party is authorized to participate.
- The State Chairman shall appoint necessary staff members and all standing and special committees
- The State Chairman shall be an ex officio a member of all committees.
- The State Chairman shall promote the functions of the Party.
- State Vice Chairman
- The Vice Chairman (if any) shall preside at meetings in the absence of the chairman, and shall perform the other duties of the chairman in his absence or incapacity.
- State Secretary
- The State Secretary shall be the chief clerical officer of the Party.
- The State Secretary shall record all proceedings of the State Central Committee and the State Convention, which shall be the property of the committee.
- The State Secretary shall perform other duties the State Chairman may prescribe.
- State Treasurer
- The Treasurer shall account for all funds received and expended by the Party.
- Pursuant to action of the State Central Committee the Treasurer shall make available such funds as may be required for the operating expenses of the Party provided the funds are available in the Party treasury.
- County Chairman and County Secretary
- They shall coordinate activities at the county level with the State Central Committee.
- They shall perform such duties as decided by the State Central Committee to further the goals and principles of the Party.
Voting, except for the election of officers shall be by voice. A person holding multiple offices shall not be entitled to more than one vote, excluding proxies. Any voting member who wants to vote by proxy shall designate his proxy on a written form which shall be dated and signed.
- The Call for the State Convention shall be issued by the Chairman of the State Central Committee pro tem for 2014 and thereafter by the duly elected Chairman of the State Central Committee. The State Convention shall be held at a public place.
- Notice of the State Convention shall be published by the State Chairman in a newspaper of general circulation or other standard electronic means such as internet, websites, e-mail, etc. at least fourteen days prior to the Convention. Such notice shall specify the time, date and place for holding the Convention.
- Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised shall govern the proceedings of the State Convention, and the rulings of the Chairman of the State Convention shall be the decision on the question before the body.
- Candidates for office will be chosen by majority vote of the delegates voting at the State Convention.
- The affirmative vote of the majority of the delegates present and voting at the State Convention shall be the act of the Convention.
- The Chairman pro tem of the State Central Committee shall preside at the opening of the State Convention until a state Chairman is elected.
- The State Chairman or the State Secretary shall certify the names of the delegates and alternate delegates to the Convention of the Party and promptly forward said names to the Party Central committee.
SELECTION OF DELEGATES TO COUNTY AND STATE CONVENTIONS
- Delegates to county and state conventions of the Party must be a registered Constitution Party of New Mexico voter and a paid member of the Constitution Party of New Mexico.
- Electors for Presidential Candidates shall be chosen by the State Chairman, subject to confirmation by majority vote of the State Central Committee.
RULES FOR COUNTIES
Counties and Districts may adopt their own rules and bylaws, subject to approval by the State Central Committee. In the absence of such bylaws, these bylaws shall govern.
USE OF THE PARTY NAME
No person, group of persons, or organization shall use the name, address, or emblem of the party in any manner, unless the State Chairman grants permission.
The emblem of the Constitution Party of New Mexico:
The current edition of Robert’s Rules of Order shall govern the Party whenever they are applicable and not inconsistent with these bylaws and the New Mexico Election Laws.
INITIAL ORGANIZATION OF THE PARTY
Due to the necessities of organization, the initial State Chairman shall have broad powers to appoint the initial members to the State Central Committee and act in the interest of the Party to comply with the laws of the United States and the State of New Mexico. At such times as these broad powers are no longer needed, they may be rescinded by majority vote of the State Central Committee.
Votes that end in equal numbers shall be decided by vote of the State Chairman or senior member of that unit.
AMENDMENT OF BYLAWS
These bylaws may be amended at any meeting by a two-thirds vote of the active mebership of the Party Central Committee or by a two-thirds vote of the State Convention. In order to comply with Section 1-7-5 of the New Mexico Election Laws no amendments shall be made less than one hundred twenty days prior to any general election, nor shall any amendment be effective until thirty days prior to any general election, nor shall any amendment be effective until thirty days after being filed. Amendments shall be filed in the same manner as original party rules and regulations are filed.